Monday, June 09, 2008

On hating the past

In one passing moment several years back, I revealed to Ivy that I hated the past. I can't recall what we were talking about , but I felt it was really quite normal to hate the past. Or so I thought.

This statement was met with howls of laughter and after a little bit of searching myself, I came to the conclusion that I really didn't like the past at all. At least anything earlier than World War II. I hated history in school. I can't recall with any sort of working knowledge the time periods that are so important to our nation's history. I hated my history teacher. She taught us to take tests and then purge everything that we had learned.

I'm not a big fan of historical costumed characters. Civil War Reenactors. Renaissance Festival. Dungeons and Dragons. Pirates. It's not limited to characters, though. I had no desire to see those Dead Sea Scrolls when they came to Kansas City. I'm not a fan of history museums. Really, I have no desire to see Rome. And Washington D.C.? Meh.

So, my friends latched on to my "hatred of the past phenomenon" and bring it up whenever they have the desire to creep me out. Little did I know what I was getting myself into when Lisa and I stumbled upon Old Shawnee Days when we went to visit Kerri on Saturday. The word "Old" in the name of the event should have been my first indication. But just past the spinning rides and funnel cakes, lurked those creatures of the past. Lisa took my camera and captured it best.




Funny thing about hating the past is that my artwork almost all stems from antique papers, vintage photos and, well, just about anything from the past. Go figure.

Oh, and by the way, I could really do without the future, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is very creative, when people read this it widens our imaginations.

Anonymous said...

And also we ensure that when we enter in this specific blog site we see to it that the topic was cool to discuss and not a boring one.

Anonymous said...

i remember your "fear" of the past from when we worked together at Dingle Dry Goods which seemed funny to me too since most of the stuff in there was....from the past. and true, your work recalls the past. maybe you had a troubled past life as a roadside carny or something trying to sell tickets for the bearded lady tent!

Site Meter