Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dad Hog

I became a "dad hog" according to my sister when our dad came to town last Friday night. Em had a crazy couple of weekends, so I was giving her a little chance to breathe before entertaining again. Chris and I hijacked my dad and took him out for sushi. We waited for an hour to sit in the fancy room where you have to take our shoes off. We enjoyed tako salad (octopus salad), edamame, sea bass, yellowtail, eel and crazy monkey rolls. It had been a while since I had sushi. Chris claims it makes him think more clearly. My dad was a good sport and enjoyed having sushi that wasn't from the local Dime-a-ru in Salina.

On Saturday morning, Em and I took dad and Ellie to Einstein for bagels and coffee and then to the Overland Park farmer's market. (My ideal Saturday morning is coffee and the farmer's market...hand's down).

After the market, my dad and I decided to go to the Nelson-Atkins Museum. I'm not sure if I'm boring company or what, but he was yawning up a storm on the way to the Nelson. I offered to stop at Starbucks on the Plaza and he was more than thrilled to consume even more caffeine.

We sat on the deck and people watched and talked. Eventually I asked him if I'd ever told him about my invention (sorry, it cannot be revealed here). I apparently hadn't told him and he suddenly became so excited. Maybe the Einstein and Starbucks coffee were working their magic together or maybe I was actually onto something. After drawing on napkins, we set out for a few stores on the Plaza so I could better describe my thoughts. Needless to say, my dad now thinks I'm a genius and wants a 7% finders fee after following me to Halls, Eddie Bauer, J. Crew, Coach and Anthropologie. He followed up on Monday by sending me links to manufacturers in the area.
Eventually we made it to the Nelson and actually breezed through it rather quickly. We missed the entire area of the museum labeled "ancient" in the handheld directory. Shocking, I'm sure. I enjoyed the modern works and really liked the pop art. I did take 16 hours of art history in college, so some of it was familiar, but pulling all nighters memorizing art slides apparently didn't serve me too well.I think that of everything that the museum has to offer, I seem to enjoy the sculpture garden the best. I love those darn shuttlecocks. I think that my mother-in-law said it best when she said that she thinks of it as God playing a game of badminton and telling everyone to just not take life so seriously. I couldn't agree more.

I'm not sure what God is trying to say with the headless men...

No comments:

Site Meter